2:50pm- I called Jeff and told him he needed to come home. He left work right away and made all the necessary phone calls to get the kids taken care of for the night (a HUGE thank you to Marty, Heidi and Grandma Horne!!!!!) I was able to shower, finish packing my bag and get a few things ready for Mckenna and Andrew. Thankfully Andrew was still asleep.
4:15pm-Marty got here to watch the kids. Jeff and I headed off to the hospital.
4:30pm-I got checked in and hooked up to the monitors. I was dilated to a 5 and about 80% effaced. I am group b strep positive, so I got hooked up to the IVs quickly and started my first dose of penicillin. After being on the monitors for 20 minutes the nurse started noticing that the babies heart wasn't reacting normally to labor. They had me lay on my side and wear an oxygen mask. Laying down during contractions should qualify as torture. It was terrible. (During all of this, the person comes to draw my blood. She walks in and I see that it is a girl that I know from church and high school. OH MY GOODNESS---who wants to see anyone they know during labor? NOT ME!)
5:30pm-They wheeled me into the delivery room (side note- Chandler Regionals rooms are HUGE and you stay in the same room for labor, delivery, recovery AND postpartum. It is fantastic!!!) and at that point I was miserable. My original plan was to labor as long as I could without an epidural so that I could stand up and move around. BUT, I was being told that with the babies heart rate that I would need to stay on my side for awhile. I wanted to cry and then asked for my epidural.
6:15pm- My epidural had kicked in just in time for the doctor to come in and check me. I still hadn't dilated beyond a 5 and they were getting more concerned about the baby. My temperature was higher than they would like (100.1) and the babies heart rate was showing signs of distress. The doctor wanted to move things along faster in hopes of avoiding a c-section. My water broke up high, so I still had the membrane down around my cervix. The doctor broke the fore bag and hoped that it would help the baby move into position a little better. They also started me on pitocin to speed things up. THEN, the doctor talked to us for like 20 minutes about the babies heart rate patterns, my elevated temperature and possible c-section. I LOVED this doctor he was fantastic and I would highly recommend him to anyone (Dr. Guzman with Goodman and Patridge). I signed all of the c-section consent forms JUST IN CASE anything made a turn for the worse with the baby.
7:30pm- The doctor came in to check me again. I was still a five and the baby was doing worse. I had to really fight back tears as the doctor told us that he really thought we needed to do the c-section soon. He went over all of the information with us and then left to get ready. We spent the next 30 minutes getting prepped for a c-section. Jeff even got to wear the awesome daddy scrubs!
8:20pm- The doctor came in and gave Jeff a high five (haha). He was SO shocked. He kept saying to me "You're a rockstar! I can't believe you did that!"
8:31pm- Hannah Eve Jones was born!!!! The doctor called her a drama queen :-)
We got her hold her for about 45 minutes before the nurses came to check on her again. She was still breathing very fast and not very well. Her blood sugar had also dropped. It was very obvious that she did not feel well. The nurses took her to the nursery and I didn't hear anything else for another hour.
At 11pm the NICU nurse practitioner came in to talk to me. She told us that they had placed an IV in Hannah's head and that she was on oxygen. She said all signs point to her having an infection, so they sent a culture to the lab to be grown for two days. They also did another blood test that showed that Hannah's immature white blood cell count was high (and that is a great indicator in infants that they are fighting and infection).
Because I had been given almost a complete dose of the numbing meds for a c-section I was numb for a long time! As soon as the medicine wore off Jeff was able to take me to the nursery to see Hannah. It is heart breaking to see your baby sick and uncomfortable. She had a fever and looked miserable. We weren't able to hold her that night.
This recovery has been the easiest for me. I think it was all the walking to and from the nursery in the first 3 days :-) We are glad that Hannah is home and healthy now!!!
THANK YOU to everyone who brought us meals and presents. We appreciate all of the love and support people showed us!!!!
A VERY huge thank you to my mom who played "mom" to our two kids for a whole week! I don't think we would have survived without her!!!!!
2 comments:
She is gorgeous! Let me know when I can come meet her!! and I'm still wondering who the girl from church/school is!?
Thanks for sharing. I am so glad everyting went ok and that you didn't have to have a c-section. Modern medicine and miracles are wonderful! :)
Post a Comment