I know a lot of people will think I am crazy, but I am 100 million percent in LOVE with cloth diapering. Seriously it is AWESOME. I wish we would have started with Mckenna and saved like $3,000 by now (grr!) I was so clueless about how modern cloth diapers work. Gone are the days of diaper pins and swirling the diapers in a toilet (well, I mean those thing still happen, but it isn't the "norm" anymore. There seriously are toilet sprayers to spray them off, how sweet it that?). These BumGenius (that Drew is so kindly modeling for us...) are all-in-ones. Basically it goes on and off like a disposable. You just toss it in a wet bag and wash it later instead of tossing it in the trash. I do laundry at least every other day (I didn't always do that, this is a new trend that I am finding I like MUCH more. It makes putting clothes away easier and then it isn't as much of a CHORE as it used to be. I just toss a load into the washer in the morning and that is it- so nice and so much easier...anyway...) and I just make one of those loads a diaper load. The other type we got are the Flip System. Basically it is just a PUL (type of fabric) outer layer and then you lay inserts into it. Then you can reuse the same outer layer until it gets dirty and just keep changing the soaker. PLUS this system has disposable inserts you can put in. That is so enticing to me for when we are gone a long time in the day or traveling, etc. There are so many cool options now :-)
We have been using them for two weeks now and they are fresh, clean and going strong. I love it! PLUS they are unbelievably SOFT! My kids prefer them. Mckenna told me today, when I put our last disposable diaper on her because well it was more convenient at the time ( ...the cloth diapers were upstairs, I was downstairs, you get the point) that she wanted a soft diaper!! I would totally agree with her. After feeling these new diapers my kiddos old disposables feel like an itchy paper towel! Poor things.
I am not like super "Earthy", but if I can help out here or there I think it is better. Like using reusable zipper snack bags instead of disposable ziplocks- so easy. Or buying rBST free milk from Bashas' instead of not rBST free from Fry's (I may be wrong, Fry's may be rBST free, but it isn't clearly marked)--and they are the same price. You get the point :-). So I might as well not contribute to a landfill full of yucky diapers that aren't degrading in my lifetime. SIDE NOTE- do you know that on disposable diaper direction it tells you to dump out any solid stuff before throwing it away. I had no idea. I can guarantee that like none of my friends do that, haha!
We were 99% motivated by the money aspects of cloth diapers, the earth benefits are just icing on the cake :-) If you are at all chemical conscious with your kids you should read what they make disposable diapers out of. I am not particularly into all of that, but some may be.
Anyway, I am not trying to convert anyone to using them. But, I do think that some people may be more willing to do it if they knew more about it. So if you are interested at all I can give you the websites I used to decide what kind of diapers I like, etc (or just Google how to cloth diaper and there is a really good blog with tons of information- NOT the Diaper Pin, I didn't like that site at all)
I am just dreaming about what I can spend all the extra money on, haha... Oh wait...we have student loans to pay, boo :-)
8 comments:
They look really really cute! When I have time (like maybe this summer), I think I'll send you one that I make and you can tell me how they compare to the name-brand diapers! I'd be curious to see if they work just as well, worse, etc. I love picking up babies who wear cloth diapers! When they sit on you, they are just soft and fluffy! No more crinkly paper sounds!
I am so glad you posted this. We really thought about buying some after Grant was born but didn't because it seemed too inconvenient. I hear great reviews all the time, now I am determined to try it. Have you decided which brand you like best between the two? And where did you end up getting them from?
I really like having both. The bumGenious All in ones take FOREVER to hang dry (or two cycles in the dryer, but I usually dry once inside out in the dryer and then hang them in the laundry room through the night inside out to finish drying) They are on sale right now at the link I posted for SUCH a good deal. There colors are great too, but not as vibrant as they look on the website :-)
The Flip system is nice because you can use one cover all day long and just put the insert in whenever it is wet. I usually just rinse those out a night in the bathroom sink and then let it air dry in Andrew's room. The insert dry WAY faster than the all in ones so you are guaranteed to have a dry diaper quick. That is why I got both. I am really glad I did :-).
I also like the bumGenius because they can be a pocket diaper too (where you can add extra soakers into them to turn them into overnight diapers) It does make the diaper super big, but since it is overnight it has never bothered Andrew.
We made our sprayer, but you can buy them online. Just Google directions. I also made my wet bag to store them in from PUL and cotton (you can buy PUL on fabric.com) Harmony (Brown) Hutson also has some good sites to teach you how to make your own diapers, but since the BG were on sale I bought them rather than do that work :-)
Let me know how it goes for you!!!
Wow, I am definitely intrigued... I am going to discuss this matter with Mr. Eric and see what he thinks. Is it lots of work? Like about how much extra time a day compared to normal? Man I would love to save some $$$!!!!!!!!!! I could buy like all the diapers we would ever need for the price of 2 months worth. My wheels are spinning...
I was just telling Lance like 2 days ago that I was thinking I'd like to do cloth diapers. We had some friends from New Zealand who did the ones with inserts that you flush in the toilet. I'l have to look up more! But thanks for the recommendations! Seriously! I'm excited! :) someone bought my mom (when she was pregnant with my oldest bro) a 1 yr cloth diaper service. My mom loved it! I'm so glad they have easier ways now though!
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/
that is the website I used most. It was really helpful!
Brianne, let me know what you decided to do. I want to know how it will work with a brand new baby. I think that it will be a little more work, but definitely worth the money!!!!!
So glad they're working out for you! I think there is still a bit of a stigma out there about those who use cloth, so I'm glad more people are saying that they do! CDing is so much more common outside the US. I would love to hear what some people are thinking when I tell them I use cloth. lol! Only because I remember what *I* was thinking the first time I heard that one of my friends was using cloth. lol
I'm impressed you made your own sprayer. Did I tell you I attempted making my own diapers for awhile? they turned out okay, but decided I liked the confidence of KNOWING it would fit without adjusting over and over. Not worth my time and stress in the end.
Post a Comment