If you are family who got an e-mail from us to check out our new news then go to the next post!!!
So, lots of my blog friends having been going private lately. I haven't for several reasons, but one big reason is that like everyone else I occasionally stumble across a name on someone else's blog of a friend I once knew...I love to read (at least one) to see how people are doing. I think we all call this "blog stalking". I am totally a fan :-) My kind husband helped me make our blog unsearchable (so that you can't type our names into google and up pops our blog...if you are still not private I HIGHLY suggest turning that off!!!), and I feel pretty safe. I haven't seen random pictures of my baby anywhere or ever had weird people leave comments. My question to ya'll (Jeff accidently said this the other day when we were talking and he said "WE HAVE TO MOVE TODAY..." haha gotta love Texas!!!) is why did you make your blogs private? Have I just not heard any horror stories??? I really would like to know so that I can make the best decision for my family (and blog...) THANKS!!!
15 comments:
A close friend of mine just decided to put the live feed on the side to see where people are coming from to look at her blog, one of them she clicked on and it ended up being a HORRIBLE site and there was a picture of her daughter. Not that her daughter was undressed or anything...I've had friends have similar experiences and I went private a long time ago. That's great that you have taken your blog off google, that's probably one great step to helping protect you and your family. I have loved what I have done because I still get people leaving comments on my old blog that way they are still able to blog stalk me. Like a week ago I got a message from Tiffany Versy {spl??} and I have NO idea who she is but she knew Clark and what not but she is still able to view mine. I have, even after I went private, heard many horrible stories to close to home!
I agree with you about having old friends find our blog. I've had old young women leaders that I'm now able to keep in touch with. I haven't had any scary experiences at all. I also like going to friends blogs to see whose blog they have. That's how I found your's, from Jenni's!
Hey Cara my blog's not private either so maybe I shouldn't be posting a comment...but if people are afraid of someone stealing their children's pictures off their blog (I have to admit I'm a lot more apprehensive now that we have Collin) there is actually code you can add to your html to make it impossible for anyone to take any information (this means no copying pictures, no obtaining source codes, etc. It literally makes your entire blog copy proof.) Just wanted to share. You can go here for instructions: http://www.hypergurl.com/norightclick.html
Going private is totally your own decision but for us, when our boys were born we just decided there are too many weirdos out there and I never want to even have to worry about something happening. Also I know that once my kids get older and are in school, I'd be concerned about someone coming across my blog and seeing where I live and where my kids go to school.....just too much private information for some stranger to have access to can be dangerous. But I'm kind of a worry wart and don't like the whole world knowing everything going on in my life. So thats just me! :)
Haha - that's funny Kelsey has no idea who I am.Sorry, that could definately be creapy. OH, what a hard decision! I keep going back and forth. In fact I obviously just posted I was going private but i think I am going to delete the post. There are so many blogs that are so inspirational, I hope mine could be to someone. Quite a while ago in the Ensign it talked about using the internet as a missionary tool and I think a blog could be a great way to do that and share the gospel in a not so forward or even forward way. You do have to be careful though -which I know I probably need to be more careful.
I think part of the reason that we haven't worried about going private is knowing that if someone REALLY wanted to get information about me or my family, they would find a way to do it. Not to say that taking precautions isn't necessary of course, I just don't post anything that I wouldn't care if a total stranger read or saw. I think most "blog stalkers" are like you or I- friends or friends of friends who are just curious about what we're up to, and like previous comments have said there are other ways of protecting your blog without going private. You definitely hear the "horror stories" like what Kelsey said, but then again how well do you know every person that you're friends with on Facebook and know they're not affiliated with something weird? And I actually really like what Tiffany said and agree with it. But ultimately you have to do what you feel comfortable with and what is best for your family! Good luck in your decision! =)
I am really glad you did this post because I have been wondering the same thing. So, I am excited to see what other people say. Thanks for asking :)
First of all CONGRATS on the new baby! How exciting!!! Also about the private blog- I did not want to make mine private either. I had put a patrol on my blog. www.blogpatrol.com it shows how people are linking to your blog. I found a search engine who had pics of my sweet boys. I was so disturbed! That was the end of that. Good luck! It is way hard at first but totally worth it!
Shanna- if you read this again I can't see your blog. I think I gave you my e-mail address, but ever since you went private I can't see it!!! So, if you see this my e-mail address is cara5386@gmail.com!!!
THANKS
FYI...
I changed my blog address to:
http://establisheddec2002.blogspot.com/
Why? Long story...don't ask. :)
we're just trying to take precautions to keep our family safe. i've heard too many stories of non-private blogs.
Hey Cara I am so glad I came back to your comments. I never usually do that but good thing I did!!! I thought I had sent you an invite but maybe I typed it wrong. Email me if it doesn't work. Thanks- Shanna (shannacluff@yahoo.com)
We went private because I have pictures of other peoples kids (nieces, nephews, friends, etc) and I didn't feel like it was my place to post them on a public website where anyone can access them. You never know who is looking at them, right? But I almost feel like as long as they aren't nakey pictures its not bad. I don't know. Totally a personal decision! Good luck deciding Cara. PS I can't believe youre prego! I'm SO excited for you!
I've been thinking about going private; the only thing stopping me is that same reason: I'm a fan of "blog stalking" too. I have been careful about what pics to post and will also be taking ourselves off google to protect our blog. I don't want to have to go private; I jumped the gun in posting that!
Oh sorry, "Julie Phillips" is actually me, Samantha Phillips! Hahaha didn't realize I wasn't signed in!!
Post a Comment