
I wish that there was SOMETHING that could fully prepare a woman for the wonderful experience of becoming a mother. I was a nanny and also spent many hours with my nieces, but not even those experiences prepared me 100% for becoming a mother! The past three weeks have been amazing! I have discovered many things about myself as a wife and mother. But, even though I have learned that I can do a lot, I have also discovered that I can't do EVERYTHING! At times it has been so frustrating that the laundry isn't folded, the desk is a disaster, the hospital bags are still not unpacked and who knows when I will have time to accomplish any of those tasks! Last week I was so frustrated that I couldn't manage my normal life/duties and a baby. I was giving Mckenna a bath and I finally broke down. Jeff was so sweet and gave me the best advice- He told me that never again will I have a 2 1/2 week old Mckenna and told me that I should enjoy every minute with her now instead of worrying about what is getting done and what isn't getting done! I realized then that I was so frustrated and worried about what wasn't getting done that I wasn't taking the time to enjoy every moment that I could with my new little baby. From that moment on I have taken every minute that I can to enjoy Mckenna. Now I savor each moment that I get to spend with her instead worrying when I will be able to put her down for a nap in order to fold some clothes! That little piece of advice has helped me to enjoy being a mom even more. It hasn't solved all of my problems because no matter what the laundry and dishes need to be done, BUT I no longer stress that things are not getting done! That one piece of advice has become the little thing I needed to know in order to be a better mom. I love holding Mckenna and even miss her when it is Jeff's turn to wake up with her and I stay asleep. I love her little smiles (even if they are just gas...) and all of her silly baby noises. I love to watch her sleep and love having her close to me! Becoming a mom has been the best experience and I am so grateful for this opportunity that I have been given to have Mckenna in our family!
So all of my wonderful friends who are getting ready to have their own baby- Take Jeff's advice! Enjoy every second you get to spend with your little one and when you are able to spend that precious time don't sit and wish that you were doing something else (even if it REALLY needs to be done).
*** But for some reassurance... it does get easier right? haha! Will I eventually be able to get things done???
8 comments:
It sounds like you have an awful good husband by your side! one who knows how to give good advice too!
I agree, its hard not to get everything done, especially with people coming over to see the baby and David is sick, so its like having two babies! But I am learning to not sweat the small stuff and if I can only power clean for an hour so I can get some sleep while she sleeps its ok! I cant believe they are growing up so fast, Tuesday they will be 1 month already!
Yeah, coming from a mother who now has to work for a bit you are blessed to be able to be with her! Things will get better and it ok to ask for help when you need it. If there is anything I can do for you let me know, I could pay Cody to be your maid for a bit??!? Eh? Eh? hehe
Great advice Jeff!!! That newborn stage goes sooooo fast and before you know it, you will have five kids, be an old lady like me and have a hard time remembering when it was just the three of you.
Yes it gets easier. Your hormones calm down, you calm down and a schedule of some sort finally emerges. You are doing an amazing job.
Oh my gosh Cara this is so funny to read you writing as a mommy. I absolutely love it and I am grateful you are doing all of this first so I can learn from your experiences. What a sweet husband you have!! (we should have Adam spend a little time with him to learn a thing or two before I ever have a baby :-)
Jeff is a wise man (but we already knew that!) I'm so glad you're able to enjoy this time with Mckenna, they don't stay little for long so this time is precious! I would be the same way though, I hate not getting the things around the house done, but I'm sure having an understanding husband helps! Thanks for the advice, and Cody would absolutely come over to do some loads of laundry or cook dinner, please please don't hesitate to ask! love you guys!
I cant believe they will be a month its crazY! Has McKenna gotten a lot more active lately? Morgan seems to be reacting and looking around so much more this week its great! And she has been eating what seems like a ton! I am hoping for a big growth spurt at her next doctors appt!
Thanks for the advice! I am going to remember that in about four months when I have a messy house, but a cute baby in my arms. I can tell you are such a good mom! I can't beleive McKenna is already three weeks old. Time flies!!!
Post a Comment