Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yum....

We started a garden! I have been wanting to do this for a while, and last week we finally did it!

We cleared out a patch of land, maybe a border, added some good dirt and mulch, and then we started planting. Right now we have broccoli, cabbage, onions, garlic, carrots, spinach and romaine lettuce growing. I started the seeds for cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, zucchini, multi-colored bell peppers, jalapenos, serrano peppers, asparagus and swiss chard. We will also plant a couple more tomato plants (we already have two from last year) and some herbs like cilantro, basil, sage, thyme and spearmint. Later in the summer we will plant some pumpkins too and hopefully we will get some pumpkins to carve in the Fall! We also are now proud owners of a dwarf peach tree (they only get to be 6 feet tall and still produce great fruit) and 2 blackberry plants (which supposedly do amazing well in San Antonio) Anyway, we are really excited for the spring and summer months so that we can enjoy the fruits of our labors! And hopefully we can share them with all of you :-) (well if you live in San Antonio that is...)

Cara planting the broccoli

10 comments:

Brittany said...

That is awesome! You little green thumb you! I am honestly so proud of you guys. What an accomplishment. You will have to let me know how it all ends up and especially how it all tastes!

Caitlin said...

that's so cool! steven wants me to plant a garden someday. i've never gardened ever! but his mom does so hopefully i can keep it up!
nice job! keep us posted on how everything is going!

amber {and co.} said...

Yay for gardens! Fresh veggies and fruit and berries, mmmmmm! (That was a tasty noise if you couldn't tell :) We're excited to be able to enjoy it too, and you'll have to teach me how to grow yummy food, I've never tried to do a garden before!

amber {and co.} said...

p.s... I like how Rowdy is helping you in that first picture :)

Jared and Delia said...

Yay! Doesn't it feel great to garden? I am "green" with envy :). It sounds like you have planted a lot of yummy stuff.

I love the picture of your husband and daughter dancing a few posts down! So sweet!

Jenni said...

you guys are so "grown up." I want to come see your garden! but how do that many different plants fit in there?

Jeffrey Jones said...

I have to add, in case your thinking wow, how are they going to fit all those plants in that tiny little space (you're especially thinking that if you've gardened before since cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelon take up a ton of space). We have a second spot to plant more things where the condensation line drips out water from the AC.

Kelsey said...

Very impressed!! I have always thought I would like to try it but not sure I have the "Green Thumb". Definately share how it goes!! Jealous I can't have some of your home grown veggies!

Tim and Jennifer said...

Tim's going to be so jealous. I should have asked you about this. About once a week he reminds me that he wants to plant a garden!

The Fiores said...

I love your garden! We have a side yard that the dogs cannot enter, and I have been meaning to start my garden for about a month now maybe this will motivate me lol.