Saturday, May 17, 2008

One funny moment from last night

If you haven't read the post below read it first- then come back to this one (it will make more sense that way!!)


Last night I spent about 5 hours in labor and delivery triage before I got a real room (too many people having babies!!). While in triage I was able to unplug the monitors myself and wheel the IV stand with me to take my many bathroom breaks. All of you who have been pregnant understand that you need to use the restroom A LOT!

Around 8:30pm Jeff left to go get me some dinner- I didn't feel like hospital food. Right after he left the nurse came in to wheel me to my real room for the night. I was excited to be off the gurney in the triage room. When she hooked me back up on the machines and to the electric IV pole. She said that if I needed to use the restroom she would have to come help me unhook the IV. At the time I didn't need to use the restroom, so I told her okay and she left. Jeff got back to the hospital a little while later. I filled him in on what he had missed and then told him I needed to call the nurse to come help me unhook the IV so that I could go to the bathroom. I pushed the nurse call button and was informed that my nurse would come help me soon. 5 minutes go by, 10 minutes go by, 20 minutes go by and at this time I was getting pretty desperate for the bathroom. Jeff was very confident that he could help me unhook from the IV. His first instinct was to unplug it from the wall and wheel it into the bathroom with me. That made me incredibly nervous because it seemed too easy (and the nurse could have just told me that from the beginning). We started looking at the IV and Jeff was sure he knew how to unhook it. So he turns off the liquids flow and the machine starts beeping at us. He pushed silent. Then we unhooked the two pieces of tubing and I was exstatic that I was able to use the bathroom. I quickly unplugged the other monitors and started off to the bathroom. But (and of course there is always a but...) I noticed liquid squirting out of the end of the tubing that was connected to me! I look down and my IV tube is quickly filling with blood- YIKES! I put my finger over the end of the tube- hoping that would keep the blood from coming out further and yelled at Jeff to help me. We were both laughing so hard. He looked down and noticed we hadn't clamped down the tubing that was connected to me! He got me all connected again to the IV machine and I sat in bed looking at him like we had just done something terrible. The IV machine wouldn't work again and it kept beeping at us. He pushed some buttons and it started working again...
You should have seen the two of us. We both looked like kids who had been caught with their hands in the cookie jar. I told Jeff that my IV was full of blood and the nurse would know that we had done something bad. I asked him "What should we tell her?" Just like we used to do when my siblings and I would do something we weren't supposed to do and then tried to come up with a cover story! It was hilarious that I was so scared that the nurse was going reprimand us! We lucked out though. When she came in about ten minutes later the IV had cleaned itself out almost all the way and she didn't even notice!!!

The best part of the story... She came in and unplugged the machine from the wall and then said "That's all you have to do". Oops- I guess I was being a little paranoid!!!! *Note to Jeff---Honey, you were right :-)

But, now I get to tease Jeff that his confidence almost made me bleed to death :-)!!

7 comments:

Carole said...

Don't you just hate pushing that nurse button? Whoever answers your call makes it sound like you just called her at home, during the middle of the night.

Jeff: I guess we all know why you are going to law school and not med school!

Caitlin said...

What a funny story! i totally can see something like that happening to us! i'm glad everything turned out well and you're ok!

Tim and Jennifer said...

I was laughing reading this. I'm glad you didn't have the baby yet... now we get to play!

The Fiores said...

Wow, that is pretty funny! I am glad everything went well, you are the second person I know who has been to L&D this week for false labor! Hopefully my trial run doesn't happen for awhile!

Brenden+Nikki said...

ha ha that's hilarious - i can just see the two of you in there trying to figure out that contraption! At least you were that brave....I probably would have peed just waiting for the nurse to come because I'd be too afraid to do anything else ha ha.

Oh by the way - look out in the mail this week for a little package. :) Sorry it's taken so long...things are so crazy from the move. Hope you like it :)

Kelsey said...

That is a funny story! I am glad everything was okay and that you and the baby are doing good. I will admit I was jealous about you having the horrible pain and I have yet to experience it (funny I know)...Take it easy and you better not have your bundle of joy before me!!

Kelsey said...

Thats funny that you say to get a pedicure because I went with My mother in law Julie and got one. Nothing has happened yet but we still have tonight and tomorrow...we shall see...