Friday, May 16th
6:40am: I woke up and had the most miserable pain all over my belly. My stomache was completely hard. And I was so tired from the horrible nights sleep that I got the night before.
6:50am: I was getting ready to go sub for the teacher who I student taught with. I had been looking forward to teaching her kids again and was SO excited, but my abdomin was still painful and rock hard.
7:00am: As I was eating breakfast I contemplate cancelling my substitute job for the day. Against my better judgement I decide to go.
7:15am: I am off to work!
7:30am-2:45pm: The pain is off and on all day. Jeff looks up a bunch of articles on telling the difference between Braxton-Hicks contractions, false labor, and real contractions. We conclude through most of the day that I was just having false contractions (because Braxton-Hicks are not painful...) Right before taking the kids to P.E. I was in so much pain that I could hardly stand and sitting down didn't feel much better--oh no! So, while the kids are at P.E. I call Jeff, my Mom, and the doctors office (of course the nurse is at lunch and I have to call back in 45 minutes). I relax for 45 minutes while the kiddos were at specials and began to feel a tiny bit better. I decided to finish out the rest of the day at school (only an hour left).
3:00pm: I leave the school and call the doctors office again. They take all my information and right a brief summary of what I have been feeling.
3:08pm: I get home and feel a bit better until the pain starts to be so intense again. I start timing between contractions again and was having them about 3 minutes apart. In the mean time, the nurse calls back. I tell her everything that has been happening and that I had been timing them all day long. She immediately says "Are you in San Antonio?" I said "Yes" and then she proceed to tell me that I needed to go to St. Luke's hospital and go to the Labor and Delivery floor.
3:30pm: I get off the phone and have a brief emotional moment (really I just broke down and cried for about 5 minutes). We quickly grabbed everything we needed- hospital bag, camera, insurance card- JUST IN CASE and head out the door.
4:00pm: We are scheduled to start out prep class at the hospital June 5th (which includes a tour of the hospital). Luckily we had driven to the hospital before and knew which entrance to use. We wondered the halls of the hospital trying to find Labor and Delivery.
4:15pm: I was admitted and they start monitoring the contractions and the babies heart rate.
4:30pm-8:30am Saturday, May 17th: They monitor me all night long. Of course, once we get to the hospital my painful contractions were almost gone. They kept monitoring for me awhile and then the doctor came in to check on me. He said that I was not dilated at all (which was great) and gave me a shot of Terbutaline to stop the contractions.
So, the rest of the night was spent in the hospital. They continued monitoring me for the rest of the night and into the morning. We are very blessed because the medicine did its job! After about 9pm I did not have another contraction! I got to leave the hospital this morning with the orders to take it easy this weekend and then to ease back into normal activities on Monday (Just in time to hang out with the Konkle's and Ray's!!).
It was such a scare because all of my sister's kids have been born extremely early, but we are glad that everything worked out!
It wasn't the worst trial run. It could have been worse, but I think we will be a little more efficent next time. We will even know where to walk once we get to the hospital! Maybe next time we will even return home with a cute little baby (as long as next time doesn't have before like June 20th)...
6:40am: I woke up and had the most miserable pain all over my belly. My stomache was completely hard. And I was so tired from the horrible nights sleep that I got the night before.
6:50am: I was getting ready to go sub for the teacher who I student taught with. I had been looking forward to teaching her kids again and was SO excited, but my abdomin was still painful and rock hard.
7:00am: As I was eating breakfast I contemplate cancelling my substitute job for the day. Against my better judgement I decide to go.
7:15am: I am off to work!
7:30am-2:45pm: The pain is off and on all day. Jeff looks up a bunch of articles on telling the difference between Braxton-Hicks contractions, false labor, and real contractions. We conclude through most of the day that I was just having false contractions (because Braxton-Hicks are not painful...) Right before taking the kids to P.E. I was in so much pain that I could hardly stand and sitting down didn't feel much better--oh no! So, while the kids are at P.E. I call Jeff, my Mom, and the doctors office (of course the nurse is at lunch and I have to call back in 45 minutes). I relax for 45 minutes while the kiddos were at specials and began to feel a tiny bit better. I decided to finish out the rest of the day at school (only an hour left).
3:00pm: I leave the school and call the doctors office again. They take all my information and right a brief summary of what I have been feeling.
3:08pm: I get home and feel a bit better until the pain starts to be so intense again. I start timing between contractions again and was having them about 3 minutes apart. In the mean time, the nurse calls back. I tell her everything that has been happening and that I had been timing them all day long. She immediately says "Are you in San Antonio?" I said "Yes" and then she proceed to tell me that I needed to go to St. Luke's hospital and go to the Labor and Delivery floor.
3:30pm: I get off the phone and have a brief emotional moment (really I just broke down and cried for about 5 minutes). We quickly grabbed everything we needed- hospital bag, camera, insurance card- JUST IN CASE and head out the door.
4:00pm: We are scheduled to start out prep class at the hospital June 5th (which includes a tour of the hospital). Luckily we had driven to the hospital before and knew which entrance to use. We wondered the halls of the hospital trying to find Labor and Delivery.
4:15pm: I was admitted and they start monitoring the contractions and the babies heart rate.
4:30pm-8:30am Saturday, May 17th: They monitor me all night long. Of course, once we get to the hospital my painful contractions were almost gone. They kept monitoring for me awhile and then the doctor came in to check on me. He said that I was not dilated at all (which was great) and gave me a shot of Terbutaline to stop the contractions.
So, the rest of the night was spent in the hospital. They continued monitoring me for the rest of the night and into the morning. We are very blessed because the medicine did its job! After about 9pm I did not have another contraction! I got to leave the hospital this morning with the orders to take it easy this weekend and then to ease back into normal activities on Monday (Just in time to hang out with the Konkle's and Ray's!!).
It was such a scare because all of my sister's kids have been born extremely early, but we are glad that everything worked out!
It wasn't the worst trial run. It could have been worse, but I think we will be a little more efficent next time. We will even know where to walk once we get to the hospital! Maybe next time we will even return home with a cute little baby (as long as next time doesn't have before like June 20th)...
I called this picture (taken on Jeff's cellphone- that is why it looks so funny) the happy hospital picture. There was another one that I named the sad hospital picture because I looked really sad :-) Aren't you all SO jealous of my beautiful gown?
4 comments:
So glad you are home and doing well. Stay off your feet, make Jeff rub them and milk this for all the love and attention it is worth!
Cara I am so glad everything went ok for you last night. I couldnt imagen that experience. Make sure you keep it easy.
oh my gosh Cara!! I am so glad everything is okay. So what was it then? false labor?? are you sure you're okay to go out tomorrow night?? just let us know what's best for you! keep that baby girl in the oven a little bit longer.
wow what a crazy experience!!!! I'm glad things went ok. I would have been totally freaked out!
Post a Comment